Wednesday, March 24, 2010

DINING ROOM

Sorry for posting this a day late but here it is

BEFORE:





AFTER painting the walls:

You can't really tell here but the upper half of the room is a light grayish blue(BM iced cube silver), the lower half and the trim white(BM atrium white)

The black and white photos are mostly pictures of all the apartments that we lived in as a couple in NY (where my husband is from ) and Wisconsin. Others are photos that are meaningful to us (Yankee Stadium, Wedding Reception and Church in Sonoma, Miller Park, etc)  


I love this vintage chandelier but thought  it was too small for the space 


So, I (acutally, my brother in law) moved it to the Master Bedroom and replaced it with this
  

I like to add  touches to a room that  remind me of where I grew up.  The capiz chandelier is from my native country, the Philippines.  The curtains(which came with the house) remind me of the Barong Tagalog... 


which is common formal attire (like a tuxedo) for Filipino men


It looked like this for several months. 


The oak wood gets no love from me so I painted the outside of the hutch gray(RL medium gray satin) and the inside white(atrium white).  I changed the knobs and pulls too.



I put a coat of wipe-on polyurethane to finish it up


I bought the pepsi crate for $4 at a flea market.  Saw a similar one at Pottery Barn for $24.


AND here is our dining room now:


 





I still want to stain the dining room table darker.  Any advice?  Otherwise,  I am happy with the outcome.
What do you think?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how your dining room has evolved! I like that you took a risk and painted your built in a pretty grey. The Capiz Chandy looks great above the table!

We stained our table a deep walnut and it was some work but it was a $12 makeover! you can't beat that

charmaine said...

Thanks! I have no experience with staining so I'm a little hesitant. Your dining room looks great!

Dayka Robinson said...

i like your table, but it would also look good stained, so i think it's really a matter of preference. your square table was modern, but it looked good--where did it go??

charmaine said...

Dayka - We are using the darker table in the basement. I can tell you like that better(actually, me too!) but I needed the extra leaves of the other table. I am leaning towards staining it dark walnut. We'll see what happens. :)

Liz Harrell said...

Oh my gosh! I'm LOVING your dining room makeover. So fun and chic!

Tiina said...

your home is very beautiful

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails